Themes for Secondary Novel study...
"What would be the key relevant literary themes for today's students?* "
- Impact of technology on everyday life (from the internet, devices, social media)
- Invasion of privacy, consequences for private life
- Encroachement of government & conflict with individualism
- Conflict between corporate culture and society/ the environment/ traditions
- The consequences of a widening gap between rich and poor
- Political corruption
- Survival in difficult situations / being self-reliant
- Separation/roles/values/conflict of church and state, the place of faith
- Effects of war/conflict/terrorism, and being a soldier/insurgent/freedom fighter/terrorist
- Impact of changing demographics on our society and culture (ethnicity, age, gender, etc.)
- Social and cultural impact/challenges of single parenting
Now the challenge is to find contemporary relevant titles (published in say last 10 years) that address these in an engaging, stimulating way. This would make a great discussion topic for high school students, and English departments!
(*Adapted from suggestions by Robert L. Hicks made on LM-Net
Arkansas City High School Library)