Wikipedia: What do experts and students think? What do you think?
Panel Discussion from the NCCE Connect 2011 Conference
Addressing the following questions:
- What are the pros and cons of a “free encyclopedia that anyone can edit,” particularly in an educational setting?
- Do teachers have a responsibility to discuss Internet resources, such as Wikipedia, with students?
- Do districts or schools have a responsibility to provide professional development on this, or is this up to the individual teacher?
- Should Wikipedia be accepted as a valid source for school projects?
- Should a policy be set on the use of Wikipedia in school?
- If so, who should set policy – districts? schools? teachers?
- And what should that policy be?
UStream recording of the panel discussion
The first 8 minutes or so is introductory remarks.
The panel discussion starts at about 8:45minutes in.
Main page for session information and documents.(wiki)
Slide shows used during the panel
Data from student survey mentioned in the intro
Wikipedia, NCCE Connect, webinar,