Have Students Sketch to Kill the Prewriting Jitters
"After overcoming the dreaded blank-page-syndrome, the most important thing about using drawing as a prewriting activity is the conversation that happens around it. Some questions that I commonly ask the students I work with about their sketches are:
• Why did you decide to draw it this way?
• What's happening here?
• Why is this here? (in regards to spacial organization)
• Why did you include this detail/item?
• How are these specific items related?
• What did you purposefully leave out of your drawing?"
sketching, drawing, writing,