Library Links

"Content that might be of interest to Teacher-Librarians..."


20.5.10

Animal Matchup Game

I've made up a set of cards with pictures from animal magazines and then made up call number cards to go with them.
The call numbers I'm using are (1 big card for each)
597  Fish, Reptiles, Amphibians
598 Birds
599 Mammals
636 Pets
There are more than enough animal cards for all the students.  I keep the call number cards hidden at first and we name all the animals as I hand the cards out.  Then I ask the students to see if they can find a way to group themselves by finding similarities between their animal and someone else's.
They come up with interesting combinations (like a shark and a hippo, both with their mouth open!) but we listen to each rationale as they tell about their groupings.  Then I introduce the idea of similar animals (or the books about them) being grouped together in the library and being given the same call number.  We discuss what the features of the different kinds of animals are (what covers their skin--fur? scales?, how they have their young etc.)  Then I have them switch cards with someone near them, I lay out the call number cards on the tables and they decide where to put their new card.  I hand out the extra cards to the first few finished to place on the tables.  Then we group around each table and decide if all the cards are correctly placed.  If one is not where it should be, we talk about why. Finally we go over to the nonfiction section and look at where the shelves of books for the various call numbers are and I tell them they can choose a book from that section today if they wish.  
This activity is well received by Grade 2's and is something different and fun for year end.

Another card activity I've made is a memory game using vocabulary for the features of a nonfiction book.  The words I use are
publisher
author
illustrator
pictures
index
glossary
table of contents
copyright
call number
title page

You need two of each card.  I've used pocket cards and glued on the words, then laminated.  You could also use an old deck of playing cards.
The game is to lay down the cards and then flip them over two at a time to try and make a match.  Say the word of each card turned over.  If you make a match, you keep the cards.  I have them go on to the next person as that way everyone gets more turns.
Once they are familiar with all the words, they can play where if they make a match, they have to tell what the feature is (ie glossary:  mini-dictionary found in the back of the book).  
To change it up, the next class I handed out a nonfiction book to each student and they played the game again but when a match was made, everyone had to find that feature in their book.  I challenged them to see who had the newest/oldest book when they got to the copyright word match.
I played the simple version with Grade 2's and the harder version with Grade 3's.  They loved it!

Just thought I'd share these ideas as the kids loved playing them and there was lots of learning happening!

Lynne at Coyote Creek