Library Links

"Content that might be of interest to Teacher-Librarians..."


28.5.13

Summer as a great time to catch up

Help students enjoy the extra reading time!

Ideas for encouraging students to make reading part of their summer.

"As a reading teacher, I want to prepare my students for these times in life that invite extra reading time and the ways in which these times impact their reading lives. I have learned that summer is the perfect time to learn to enjoy the extra time. I am opposed to "summer reading lists" and required summer reading. Students usually see summer reading as an assignment, and often put off the reading until the week before school starts. I have found that my upper elementary students and my own children respond more positively when they see summer as a great time to catch up on the reading they haven't had time to get to during the school year..."

============